Showing posts with label technology news. Show all posts
Showing posts with label technology news. Show all posts

Fake Momo Challenge messages creates panic

8:03 AM
Some people spreading fake messages to create panic, says CID All the numbers from where messages were sent to people in to play the Momo Challenge were based abroad, the CID said.

The West Bengal CID on Tuesday downplayed the growing Momo Challenge scare in the state, saying most of the messages received by people inviting them to play the alleged killer game appear to be fake, and that there is no reason to connect the recently reported suicide cases to it.
Fake Momo Challenge messages creates panic

No formal complaints regarding the game have been filed at any of the police stations in the state till date. All the numbers from where the messages were sent to people in the state to play the Momo Challenge were based abroad and an investigation has been initiated into this, the DIG (Operations), CID, Nishat Pervez said.

“Even I got the ‘Momo Challenge’ message on my cellphone but the sender is known to me. No Momo cases have been filed in any of the police stations, be it in the districts or the city, contrary to media reports. Instead, what is gaining prominence is a fake message that is being circulated through social media. The messages have no links that would take the recipient to the actual game. Even the preliminary investigation into the alleged suicidal deaths in north Bengal too did not reveal any clue relating to the ‘Momo Challenge’ having played a role in the deaths,” Pervez said.

“Fake messages can be created and that is what has happened,” he said.
Media and social media are abuzz with alleged Momo Challenge cases, and several complaints have been filed of people receiving messages asking them to play the game. But the CID said that this was nothing but mischief.

“Most of the cases investigated so far were found to be mischievous. What needs to be done is to carry out awareness campaigns and to make people, especially parents, aware. They should be extra vigilant,” said a senior CID officer.

“Should they notice any such message on their mobiles, they should immediately file complaints at the local police stations. We will probe the cases and try to identify the persons involved in it,” Pervez said.

Momo game allegedly claim it's first victim in Darjeeling hills

11:56 AM
Amitava Banerjee | MP |Darjeeling: Debate over whether the class 12 student was coerced by the "Momo" game to commit suicide raged in the Hills. 
Momo Game

On August 20, an 18-year-old student Manish Sarki went missing in his hometown —Kurseong. Sarki was a Class 12 commerce student. When Manish did not return home until 9 pm, his anxious parents and neighbours launched a search operation for him. Later, he was found hanging inside a pig sty located at St. Mary's Hill in Kurseong.

On the walls of the pig sty, there were symbols and words spray painted such as — 'Illuminati' 'Doped', 'Hanged Man' and the name of a girl. "My son is a victim of the 'Momo game.' He was an obedient boy and good in studies. He would stay indoors most of the time and used to spend a lot of time playing games on his cell phone. I have lost my son," stated Chandramaya Sarki, mother of the deceased. 
18-year-old student Manish Sarki momo game victim
18-year-old student Manish Sarki 

Arvin Ghatani, a friend of the deceased also feels the same. "Manish used to play a lot of internet games specially on social media sites. The symbols and the images found on the walls of the pig sty also appear on the Momo game app," stated Ghatani. 

"We did not recover any suicide note. The cell phone belonging to the deceased will be examined by cyber experts. Following this, it can be ascertained whether the death was prompted by the suicide game," stated Harikrishna Pai, Additional Superintendent of Police, Kurseong

‘Facebook-BFF’ security test is completely fake

5:47 PM
Heena Gupta NEW DELHI: Social networking giant Facebook is in lot of trouble right now. The company is dealing with one of the major data breaches of all time. As a result, both Facebook and Google are also fighting a lot against the growing issue of privacy concerns and fake news. Both tech giants are alerting the law agencies against the growing prominence of fake news.

Along with this, Facebook has also laid down some tips which will help the users to distinguish between fake and original news. But still it has a long road ahead in order to combat this issue. We have noticed a new fake news doing the rounds of Facebook.

A Facebook post is asking the users to type BFF in the comment box in order to check it their account is safe from hackers or not. The Facebook post reads, “Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, invented the word BFF . To make sure your account is safe on Facebook, type BFF in a comment. If it appears green, your account is protected. If it does not appear in green, change your password immediately because it may be hacked by someone.”

However, this is a completely false post and this will not help users to keep their Facebook account safe. In fact, this is the ‘text delight’ feature offered by Facebook which makes the text bold and green in colour. Moreover, it also creates an animation including two animated hands giving high-five when you press enter. But, in order get the animation you need to have an updated version of the app or the internet browser. In case you don’t have the latest version then there are chances that you will not get to see the text delight feature.

But other than this, it has nothing to do with the hacking or safety of your Facebook account. We also contacted Facebook on the same issue. In an official statement give to Gadgets Now, the company said, “A meme is currently making the rounds claiming that entering ‘BFF’ into the comments section will secure a person’s Facebook account. This is untrue. Entering ‘BFF’ will simply activate a Text Effect animation showing two hands coming together.”

Via gadgetsnow.com

Gangtok can pay power/electricity bills online

1:38 PM
Gangtok, Feb. 23: Queuing up to pay electricity bills is a thing of the past in Gangtok now.

Consumers in the Sikkim capital can now pay power bills online through the energy and power department website.

The facility was launched by power minister D.D. Bhutia today.

The superintendent engineer of the department, Sunil Rai, said: "It is for the first time that such a facility has been introduced in a department under the Sikkim government. It is a tool of consumer empowerment and the most convenient method of making payments. The facility is applicable to only those consumers whose bills are issued by the head office of the power department. There are about 14,000 consumers who can use it."

He said the facility would be operational from today.

One can visit the website, www.powerdepartmentsikkim.com, register by using an ID - the nine digit contract account number mentioned in the bill - and a password. A registered consumer can log in with the details, view the monthly bill and make the payment. One can use net banking, debit and credit cards of all banks to pay the bills through the website. The transactions would be free of cost.
Gangtok can pay power/electricity bills online

Earlier, a consumer had to pay the bills through the State Bank of Sikkim.

The project is worth Rs 11.63 crore and has been designed by Wipro, executed by Tata Consultancy Services and facilitated by the state information technology department, Rai said.

"People should benefit from the new facility. The officials should ensure that consumers face no problems in using the portal," minister Bhutia said today.

Sikkim has around 1,20,000 power consumers.

Via Telegraph


HRD has acknowledged Chandra Sharma, looking to contact him

4:29 PM

Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) has acknowledged Chandra Sharma (a gorkha from Assam) for his passion on building a Helicopter and are looking for Mr Sharma's contact details.

Mr Sharma was looking to fly his self made helicopter on the occasion of Republic day on 26th January 2016. Unfortunately he failed to acquire the clearance to fly the same and he is still looking forward to fly his masterpiece.

Thus the message from HRD has come as a ray of hope for Chandra Sharma who is a school dropout mechanic by profession.

We wish him good luck for his coming days and may he succeed in flying his self made helicopter in the bright blue of Assam very soon.

Online service for birth, death and construction documents in Siliguri

11:18 AM
Siliguri: Online facilities will be introduced from next week for people to avail themselves of birth and death certificates from the Siliguri Municipal Corporation and land documents required for sanction to construct buildings from the Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority.
Deb speaks to the media in Siliguri on Thursday
Deb speaks to the media in
Siliguri on Thursday
. Picture by Kundan Yolmo
Once the online facilities are launched, people won’t have to stand in queues at SMC and SJDA offices to obtain the documents.

North Bengal development minister Gautam Deb today said the SMC would launch the online facility for birth and death certificates on August 28. “The SJDA will start the online service to issue Land Use and Compatibility Certificate on August 25. Thousands of people would be benefited by the introduction of the online services,” Deb told a news conference in his office here this afternoon.

As of now, birth and death certificates are issued from designated counters at SMC office. Anybody who needs the certificates have to go to the SMC office, fill up forms and submit the same with the officials along with necessary documents and fees. The entire process can be done online now.

However, sources, said the SMC and SJDA would continue to issue the certificates manually even after the online facility was launched.

The Land Use and Compatibility Certificate is a document required to be submitted to municipalities or panchayats by anyone who wants to construct a building on his plot. The local bodies sanction the building plans only when the land certificates issued by the SJDA are submitted.

The sources said hyperlinks would be incorporated in the respective websites of the SMC and SJDA to issue the certificates. “Once forms are filled up and the fees paid online, the birth and death certificates can be issued immediately. In the case of land certificates, some time would be needed for the SJDA to verify the documents. Once the papers are verified, the SJDA will release the land certificate. The advantage of the online facility is that land owners don’t have to queue up at the SJDA office,” said a source.

Deb is the chairman of the SJDA.

The minister said a high-level meeting would be held at Nabanna on August 26 to discuss the financial state of the SMC and explore options to obtain more funds for the civic body. “State municipal affairs minister, the principal secretary of his department and the SMC administrators will be present at the meeting along with me.”

He held a meeting with the three administrators of the SMC and the civic officials today.

Deb said the chief minister would be in Siliguri in the first week of September to inaugurate the renovated Dinabandhu Mancha and the new facilities in Surya Sen Park.

Dinabandhu Mancha is an auditorium-cum-exhibition hall run by the state information and cultural affairs department. The north Bengal development department had started the repair and the renovation of the auditorium earlier this year. New audio-visual facilities and an elevator have been installed at the building and air-conditioning has been improved.

“Once the auditorium is reopened, the information and cultural affairs department will screen films for at least 10 days a month. The building will be available for meetings and conferences for the rest of the days,” said the minister.

He also announced that the construction of the SMC’s new building would commence shortly.

“We had sanctioned Rs 2 crore to the SMC for the construction of the new building. The building plan is ready and it would cost something between Rs 12 crore and Rs 14 crore. More funds will be allocated in the due course of time,” he said.

For better disposal of garbage across Siliguri, Deb said, five compactors — sophisticated vehicles for carrying and dumping garbage —would be purchased by the SMC.

“A sum of Rs 8.26 crore will be spent for buying the compactors which would be parked at five different locations in town. From the first week of next month, rubbish will be removed from the town during night hours,” he said.

Ahead of the festival season, LED lights will be installed along Hill Cart Road, Sevoke Road and Bidhan Road in Siliguri, the minister said.

Source: Telegraph

NBU to start new courses on food technology and pharmaceutical technology

8:37 AM
North Bengal University (NBU) has decided to start two new courses, food technology and pharmaceutical technology, at the post-graduate level from the 2014-2015 academic session that is set to begin from August-end, varsity authorities said today.

North Bengal University (NBU)
North Bengal University (NBU)
Somnath Ghosh, the NBU vice-chancellor, said the two courses were the first to be offered by the varsity in the technology stream.

The NBU had got permission from the UGC in 2011 to start the two courses. Subsequently, a committee was set up to oversee the launch of the two-year degree courses.

Ghosh said the decision to start the two courses was taken at a meeting of the committee on June 27.

A.P. Das, the former chairman of the committee, said around 10 to 15 students would be admitted to each of the two courses. “The syllabus has been formulated. The UGC has also sanctioned three teaching posts for each of the two courses,” he said.

Source: Telegraph
 
Copyright © Indian Gorkhas. Designed by Darjeeling Web Solutions